18 EN.png

Remember: Minors (under 18) do not have ICE check-ins. Once you turn 18 (age-out), it is possible you will need to check-in with an ICE officer in the state where you live. We have resources available to help you with this process.


This is general legal information and is not meant as legal advice. You should always talk to an attorney for advice about your specific case.


If you turn 18 years old and receive a notice to check-in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), it is important for you to go to this appointment. This is different from your court hearing with an immigration judge. You need to go to both your ICE check-ins and court hearings.

  • Where do I go?: Your notice will tell you where you need to go for your check-in. If you don't know or are unsure of where the ICE office is located, you can check the ICE Office location list (this includes addresses, hours, phone numbers, and emails). 
  • How often do I have to check-in?: You may need to check-in with an ICE officer every month, every 3 months, every 6 months, or once a year--it depends on your specific case. Your ICE officer will tell you when you need to return and it should also be listed on your Personal Report Record (this document will have your address, A Number, picture, and fingerprint).
  • Do I go in person or use my phone?: Your first ICE check-in will likely be in person. In the unlikely event of temporary office closure, there may be an option to check-in with your phone using an approved app that sends your picture and additional information to your ICE officer.
  • Can my attorney go with me to my check-ins? You should always keep your attorney informed about your ICE check-ins and many attorneys will be able to go with you to your check-ins. Your attorney can also talk to your ICE officer on your behalf and help you if you are having issues with your in-person check-ins or when using the app.
  • If I don't have an attorney, can I go with someone else? Yes, there are accompaniment programs, where community volunteers are able to drive you to your ICE check-in and they can stay with you as you wait to see your ICE officer. They are not attorneys, and cannot provide legal advice, but they want immigrants, and especially children, to feel welcome. This can make it easier for you to go to your check-in. Contact us and we can help you find an accompaniment program in your area.
  • What should I do if I move?
    • You need to tell your ICE officer, if you are going to move or change your phone number.
    • You can also contact the ICE Victims Engagement and Services Line at 1-833-383-1465 or go to ice.gov/vesl and someone will help you.
    • To change your address with the immigration court (EOIR), you need to fill out form EOIR-33 as well. You can fill out and submit this form online or on your phone (see QR code below).



If you have any questions, please reach out to us!


💬 Send us a message on Messenger or WhatsApp.

👉 Follow us on Facebook




U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Check-in. Retrieved from https://www.ice.gov/check-in 

Justice Power Collective. Accompaniment. Retrieved from https://justicepower.org/accompaniment/ 

Unsplash. Teens Working Together. Retrieved from https://unsplash.com/s/photos/teens-working-together?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText